"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."

Randy Pausch's Last lecture

Monday, April 13, 2009

What Did I Learn? - May 3

I am a Physical Education major. Although I have learned many things in this class I am not sure how much I will actually get a chance to use it. I just don't have time to stay on the computer for long lengths of time. Not to mention that every time I sit down to write a post I am interrupted a dozen times with questions of little importance from parents and children. Maybe someone could use a blog to vent some of their frustrations. It might be different if I was able to do it at work but right now my job is to go to school and be a mother so until that changes my opportunities to post and chat are few. I did learn that you can blog about any topic, just be careful, once it's posted it's there forever. I learned how to do a podcast and I might be able to incorporate it into my PE classes. Since my major is different than most people in this class I will not use a lot of these things just because my profession won't permit it. I'm not saying that I will never have the opportunity to use the things I have learned but it won't be as accessible to me because I will not be in a typical classroom setting. I do feel like I can surf the Internet with more confidence. I know where to find things and I know how to put a blog together, do a podcast, and a presentation with pictures. And even though I think Twitter is nothing more than a rumor mill and a waste of time, I know how to do it. I think the most important thing I learned was that with everything there are good and bad things and each person has to choose what works for them. I know in some of my post that I have been negative about technology, but for the record technology has helped us in so many ways and is not all bad. The key is moderation. I hope to take the things that I have learned in this class and be able to use them in teaching PE. I can use blogs to help my students and their parents stay informed on class activities and due dates of assignments. I can use blogs to inform parents and players of teams that I coach of dates of practices and games and what to expect from me as a coach. I could even set up a blog for my students and/or players to blog about practices and games and upload pictures for others to see and share. I can use twitter to inform a parent about a discipline problem, a child getting hurt, or to cancel practice or a game because of weather. I think maybe the key is to find the time to use the tools that we were taught. The more that I write about what I could do the more I think if I do use some of this stuff then maybe I won't be so bogged down. How about that? You have changed the opinion of a true cynic of technology!! I still will stand my ground about being active but maybe I understand you a little better and I hope through my posting you can understand me a little better. Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment