"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."

Randy Pausch's Last lecture

Monday, April 6, 2009

The Standford Challenge - April 5

The Stanford Challenge

Carol Dwek, Professor of Psychology, suggest that fixed minded students believe they have a fixed intelligence which is a fixed trait and don't do as well as growth minded students who believe they can develop their intelligence throughout their whole life. She says that when given her growth minded philosophy to these same fixed minded students that they started improving and making better grades.

I don't think this is a new concept. We know that when we praise children and give them the right tools they will excel. I agree that it's a mindset to think you're smart and do well but you have to factor in influences. It wouldn't matter if a student was given her growth minded philosophy if that child did not have enough positive influences. Yes people can change, but for the most part they stay the same. And what about children with learning disabilities? Most children think they are dumb and they can't learn when diagnosed with a learning disability. And when you've been teased about how dumb you are, you start to believe it. I know. I am one of those students. I always knew that the brain was like a muscle and the more you studied and learned the smarter you became. At 38 years old I still have problems convincing myself that I am not dumb, I just learn differently. I think it's a great motivational tool. Just remember that there is always exceptions to every rule!!

No comments:

Post a Comment