"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."

Randy Pausch's Last lecture

Monday, March 2, 2009

Fischbowl-Karl Fisch -Feb 8


"If a teacher today is not technologically literate - and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more - it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write."

Fischbowl Blog

What a harsh statement!!! The more I read these blogs and listen to these podcast the more frustrated I get. I DO get it. Technology is the way of the future but aren't we putting too much emphasis on it? I agree that our children will have to be computer literate, even computer savvy, to be able to be successful in the world they will be working in. I also agree that teacher's should be computer literate because they need to be able to connect with their students in the world they are growing up in and to be able to help them when needed. If the students know more than the teacher then I think we have a problem. But I think computers and technology, with all the good that it does, can also hinder our children. Our children are now required to go online to research different assignments and to create projects. While these are necessary tools for our children's future, it also leads to inappropriate material being accessed. I am not just talking about sex and naked pictures. Take utube for instance. How many videos show violence or people doing irresponsible things just to look cool. I know that parents can put settings on the computer, but these days our kids know how to get "around" these "little" details. And what about the children who's families can't afford computers? Number one, they fall behind and number two the social aspect of not having enough money to own a computer is just another insecurity for them to handle. I am just really torn on this subject. My question is, although I appreciate the use of technology and where it has taken us, is it making us lazy and what influence does it have on our children?

No comments:

Post a Comment